Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Frequently Asked Questions

Are my spouse and/or dependents eligible to participate in TAP?
No, only active, full-time benefits-eligible, 1.0 FTE, employees may participate in the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Are part-time, temporary full-time, leave of absence, or, adjunct employees eligible to participate in TAP?
No, only active, full-time benefits-eligible, 1.0 FTE, employees may participate in TAP.

How do I register if I wish to enroll in more than nine academic semester credit hours during a specific academic semester?
One may register for academic semester credit hours in excess of the nine TAP approved hours during his/her regular student registration assigned time period. One may then register for a TAP course(s) during employee TAP registration; designated fees and tuition will be waived by the end of late registration. The remaining balance should appear after the waiver of nine credit hours.

How will I know when to register at the institution I am attending?
All employee TAP registration dates will be posted and maintained on the Board of Regents (BOR) official website at

Can I enroll during the student registration period as a TAP participant? As a TAP participant, you are only allowed to register during the designated employee TAP registration period as identified by the teaching institution. The TAP waiver will not be applied if you register before the employee TAP registration period.

Why is there a separate registration period for USG employees?
Eligible USG employees may participate in TAP on a space-available basis, only. Therefore, the employee registration period follows the regular registration period. If availability is no longer available, the participant may speak with professor for wait list availability.

What if my class is full? Do I need to submit another application to take another class in its place? No, you may enroll in another course. If the new course alters your work schedule, you must seek approval from your supervisor first.

Do I need to fill out a TAP application for every semester?
Yes. Your supervisor needs to review and approve your application each semester. Please be informed, however, that one application will suffice for both the Maymester and the Summer sessions and must be submitted by the April 15th deadline.

Can I submit more than one TAP application at once? Only submit your TAP application to your home institution TAP Coordinator within 30 days prior to the application deadline date for the semester in which you are applying for.

Can I attend more than one school in one semester while using TAP?  Yes.  TAP will only cover a maximum of 9 credit hours for each semester, no matter the school(s) you attend.

What if my six months of employment ends after the TAP application deadline, but before classes begin?
In an instance such as this, one would not be eligible to attend courses under the TAP program. One may enroll in TAP for the following semester.

What if I return from leave of absence after the TAP application deadline, but before classes begin? In this instance, one would be eligible to attend courses under the TAP program for the current period.

If I am changing my employment from one University System of Georgia (USG) institution to a different USG institution, will I be required to complete a new six month provisional period of employment?
No, unless there is a break in service of greater than 30 calendar days.

What happens if I drop a course after the campus drop/add period?
One would be ineligible for TAP for the next academic semester.

Can I receive more than one degree under TAP?

Are graduate degrees eligible under TAP?
Yes, except for executive total cost programs as indicated in the TAP policy.

Can a nine-month contract faculty member whose contract is renewed for the next academic year enroll in summer sessions under TAP?

Can I attend an out-of-state institution under TAP?

Are private in-state colleges covered by TAP?

Are on-line degree programs covered by TAP?
On-line degree programs offered by USG institutions are covered by TAP at full Board approved tuition amount.

Are DTAE programs covered by TAP?
No, however the HOPE grant may apply in certain cases.

Can I audit a course(s) under TAP?
No. Only courses taken for academic credit in which you receive a letter grade at the completion of the course are eligible under TAP.

Is the student application fee waived under TAP?

Are executive/premier graduate programs eligible under TAP?
Yes, except for executive total cost programs per TAP policy exclusions.

Are continuing education and professional development courses covered by TAP?

When will I be taxed on any amount I exceed over the $5,250 tax-free educational assistance benefit? 
If you exceed the $5,250 benefit, that amount is taxable and can be deducted from your paycheck at anytime during the calendar year in which the amount was exceeded.

Am I responsible for submitting my grade at the end of each semester to my Home Institution TAP coordinator? 
No, the Teaching Institution TAP coordinator will validate if you received a grade of ā€œCā€ or better during the application approval process with your Home Institution TAP coordinator for the next semester.

Who should I speak with to confirm if I can participate in a limited-slot academic class? 
You should speak with your College or Program Administrator before applying and make sure they are aware that you are a TAP participant. They will confirm your enrollment.