Any employee (including part-time and temporary) of the University System of Georgia, who has:
- been employed by the University System of Georgia for at least twelve months total (not necessarily the last twelve months), and
- worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately preceding the leave
…is eligible to be granted family leave for conditions authorized by the Family and Medical Leave Act.
The Act provides that employees may be granted up to twelve work weeks of job-protected leave during a 12-month period.
New Update to FMLA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division today announced a Final Rule to revise the definition of spouse under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) in light of the United States Supreme Court’s decision in United States v. Windsor, which found section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) to be unconstitutional. The Final Rule amends the definition of spouse so that eligible employees in legal same-sex marriages will be able to take FMLA leave to care for their spouse or family member, regardless of where they live. More information is available at the Wage and Hour Division’s FMLA Final Rule Website.
- What circumstances qualify me to take family leave?
- How FMLA works: General guidelines
- What are the military notification requirements under the FMLA?
- The responsibilities of the employee regarding FMLA
- The responsibilities of the supervisor regarding FMLA
- How FMLA may affect my accumulated leave time
- How FMLA may affect my health insurance premiums
- FMLA Terms and Definitions
- Family & Medical Leave Request
- Institutional Response to Employee Request for Family Leave
- WH-380-E - Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee’s Serious Health Condition
- WH-380-F - Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition
- WH-381 - Notice of Eligibility and Rights & Responsibilities (optional)
- WH-382 - Designation Notice (optional)
- WH-384 - Certification of Qualifying Exigency For Military Family Leave
- WH-385 - Certification for Serious Injury or Illness of Covered Servicemember – for Military Family Leave
- Medical Evaluation (Return to Work)
- Faculty Request for Extension of Tenure Probationary Period
Questions about FMLA?
Continuation of benefits? Leave & leave without pay? Concerns or problems relating to FMLA? Contact the Human Resources office at your institution.